Sunday, January 10, 2016

The Crazy Owl Cowl

The cold weather snap here in South Carolina has me dreaming of warm cups of coffee and scarves. I went to my closet to pull out a warm handmade scarf, and no wonder to other crafters, I didn't have a single scarf I had made for myself. I sat down and went to work on a scarf for ME! It was glorious and chunky and warm....too warm, and it took 300 years to make because just as I started it, inspiration hit. Every stitch I put into my scarf I thought about the project I'm sharing with you today. It started out simple enough, I just wondered how long I would make a scarf for a toddler (I don't know why), and realized I probably wouldn't make a scarf for a toddler because I would never put a scarf on my son when he was a toddler. I had visions of the ends getting caught in some sort of machinery (because doesn't everyone let their toddlers around dangerous machinery?), and tragedy happening. A cowl! Yes a cowl would be a good compromise. A cowl is shorter, closer to the body and therefore safer around dangerous imagined industrial equipment. Yes, I do realize that borders crazy. Anyway, I thought of a whole series of cowls, and the Crazy Owl is the first and only I'm offering for free. The rest will be available on my Ravelry Store and I'll share photos and links as the patterns become available. I also sell finished items through my Facebook store. You can always reach out to me for inquiries.




*You may make and sell all finished products created using this pattern. However; you may not copy, sell, distribute or share this pattern in whole or in part.

Size: Toddler/small child

*Can be resized by adding rows and stitches to the foundation chain.


Hook Size I


Stitches and terms used:

CH = Chain

HK = Hook

ST = stitch

HDC = Half double crochet

HDC2TOG = Half double crochet 2 together (also known as half double crochet decrease)

MC = Magic Circle

SL= Slip Stitch



Ch 13


R1: HDC into the second CH from the HK, and in each ST across. CH 2 and turn.

R2: HDC in 12 ST across, CH 2 and turn

R3-21: Repeat Row 2.

R22: HDC in the first 4 ST. CH 4. SK 4 STS and  HDC in the next ST. HDC across to the end. This will create the hole to slip the cowl tail through. CH 2 and turn.

R23: HDC across, *using the chain from the previous row to attach 4 HDC.  This will create a button hole effect. HDC to the end. CH 2 turn

R24: HDC across. CH 2 turn.

R25: 2Hdc in the first stitch, HDC in the next 10 sts. 2Hdc in the last st. CH 2 turn (14 sts)

R26: HDC in each st across, ch 2, turn (14 sts)

R27: 2 HDC in the first st. HDC in each of the next 12 sts. 2 HDC in the last st. Ch 2 turn. (16 sts)

R28: HDC in each st. ch 2, turn

R29: HDC2Tog. HDC in each of the next 12 sts. HDC2tog. Ch2, turn (14 st)

R30: HDC2tog. HDC in each of the next 10 sts. ch2, turn. (12 st)

R31: HDC2TOG, HDC in the next 8 STs, HDC2TOG. CH 2 and turn

R32: HDC2TOG, HDC in the next 6 STs, HDC2TOG. CH 2 and turn

R33: HDC2TOG, HDC in the next 4 STs, HDC2TOG. CH 2 and turn

R34: HDC across, CH 2 and turn

R35: HDC2TOG, HDC in the next 2 STs, HDC2TOG. CH 2 and turn

R36: HDC2TOG twice. Finish off and weave in the ends.




Eyes (make 2)


In MC, HDC 8. Join with a SL. CH 2

R1: HDC in the join. HDC 2times in each ST around. Join with SL. CH 2

R2: HDC in the join. (HDC in the next ST. HDC 2x in the next st.)* Repeat around. Join with a SL. Finish off, leaving a long tail to attach it to the scarf. Sew on buttons to complete the eyes. *Buttons can be a choking hazard. If you chose to use buttons, be sure to secure them properly. If you choose not to use buttons, you may make the eyes in a different color, omitting R2.


Beak

Chain 7

R1: SC in the second CH from the HK, and across, CH1 turn

R2: SC2TOG, SC in 2 STs, SC2tog, CH1 turn

R3: SC across, CH 1 turn

R4: SC2TOG twice, CH 1 turn

R5: SC across, CH 1 Turn

R6: SC2TOG, CH1, Finish off.

Attach to the cowl.


Legs (make 2)

CH 8, finish off leaving a long tail for sewing onto the cowl. Clip an approximately 3 inch piece of yarn and slip through the first ST. Tie a knot, and trim.  This will create small talons. Attach to cowl.


Tail feathers (make 3):

CH 16

HDC 3 times in each st across. This will create a twist. Finish off, leaving a long tail for sewing.

*To attach to the tail of the cowl, use a length of yarn to weave loosely into the tail end of the cowl and cinch it tight. Tie off to secure. Attach the “tail feathers”.


*For the cowl pictured, I crocheted 3 rounds per color. Change yarn color at your discretion to achieve the look you want.

*Highlighted portion indicates an edit

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the cute pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome CrazyD! Can't wait to see all the beautiful projects from this pattern :)

      Delete