Saturday, August 8, 2015

Heirloom Gifts

One of the things I love the most about crochet is the ability I have to whip up a gift for almost anyone that I know will be cherished. We live in such a "run out and buy it" society where everyone has the same inventory to pick from. Everything is so mass produced, cheap and impersonal, it takes all the joy out of giving. I have found most people appreciate the time and effort I put into a gift I have made myself, and they know I didn't run out and buy it that morning and wrapped it in the car on the way to their event. I took the time to consider them, design and make a gift just for them.

My favorite gift occasion is a baby shower. The majority of my retail business consists of baby items, both sewn and crochet. I love the idea that an item I have made and presented to the parent to be could be an heirloom, passed down from one generation to the next. I love knowing, when I am designing a dress, gown, hat or other baby item, that there is a mother who will cherish that item for years to come.

You don't need a lot of experience or skills to create a cherished item. Consider making a simple beanie hat and then personalize it with some beads or pretty buttons.




No comments:

Post a Comment